This week I am working on a few colorful projects. This stencil, from The Stencil Company, is called “Geranium“. However, if I stitch it on green fabric, I think it will pass as a shamrock for St. Patrick’s Day.
I like this stencil because it can be used in six ways:
- It can be stitched as is-with a cross-hatch center and leafy outer border
- It can be stitched with the cross-hatch center and your own “doodle” design in the outer border.
- The outer leafy border can be quilted around a pieced or appliqued block.
- This stencil can be used to draw just the inner and outer square–leaving a blank slate for doodles–easier than using rulers.
- Individual leaf/flowers can be repeated in a row to make a geranium border.
- Finally, the cross hatch pattern can be used as the “rails” for other designs…again much easier than using a ruler. I will add a tutorial on this in an upcoming post.
After I draw the stencil as it is cut…I trace over the lines and fill in the gaps. This makes the lines easier to follow while free motion quilting. Also, it helps plan out the stitch order and understand the design.
Once I finish drawing the stencil, I will make the “quilt sandwich”. Finally, I plan to audition a few thread/needle combinations.
Now for THE BEST part…sharing with YOU! The Stencil Company is going to provide two “Geranium # SCL-513″ to TWO lucky readers of The Inbox Jaunt!
Here’s the deal: In order to be entered into the drawing–simply answer the following three questions in the Comment section. Entries will be accepted through Saturday, February 9th and the winners will be announced on Monday, February 11th. (If you are not a quilter–don’t worry, we’re offering a Shamrock Doodle Quilt giveaway before St. Patrick’s Day!)
- Do you know how to set your machine for free motion quilting?
- How many total hours have you spent free motion quilting: Less than 20 hours, Between 20 and 100 hours, more than 100 hours.
- What is the hardest part of free motion quilting for you?
That’s it! There are several more stencil tutorials to come, and The Stencil Company will be offering several more giveaways through The Inbox Jaunt...so check in often!
You might also like this post on stencils.